Do you love the taste of pizza, but hate what it does to your waist line? Well, now you can have it all -- great tasting pizza, minus the extra lbs -- with today's recipe for two, Zucchini Pizza Boats.
According to CalorieKing.com
, 8 slices of homemade pizza crust will cost you the following:
• 674 calories
• 6.5 grams of fat
• 1174 milligrams of sodium (that's 49% of your daily value!!!)
• 131 grams of carbohydrates.
Granted, you probably don't eat 8 slices of pizza in one sitting, but even if you had 4 slices you would still be consuming:
• 337 calories
• 3.25 grams of fat
• 587 milligrams of sodium
• 65.5 grams of carbohydrates.
So just to burn off the crust in 4 slices of pizza you would have to walk for 93.5 minutes or jog for 38.5 minutes. Yikes!
Alternatively, you could ditch the crust and replace it with zucchini! The nutritional difference is staggering.
The breakdown for one zucchini is as follows:
• 2 calories
• .1 grams of fat
• 1 milligram of sodium
• .3 grams of carbohydrates.
I'm pretty sure you could burn that off just sitting in front of the TV.
If you are skeptical of how a zucchini based pizza would taste, don't worry, so was my husband. When I told him we were having zucchini pizza boats for dinner, his response was, "Maybe you should put a real pizza in the oven for me." In the end, he pushed his negative thoughts aside and gave the pizza boat a try. And much to his surprise, he actually enjoyed them. In the game of marital disagreements, I'm pretty sure that's 1 point wife -- 0 points husband : -)Zucchini Pizza Boats
Total Time: 30 minutes
Prep: 10 minutes
Cook: 20 minutesWhat you'll need
1 cup pizza sauce
fresh mozzarella cheese
your favorite pizza toppings
Italian style bread crumbs
salt and pepper Directions
1. Preheat oven to 425 degrees F.
2. Slice both zucchini's lengthwise. Using a spoon, scoop out the flesh from the center, leaving about 1-centimeter of zucchini around the edges.
3. Place the scooped out zucchini halves on a baking sheet covered in aluminum foil.
4. Add about 2-3 tablespoons of pizza sauce to each zucchini half.
5. Top with mozzarella cheese and your favorite pizza toppings (I use pepperoni since I had leftover slices from Tuesday's dinner).
6. Sprinkle breadcrumbs over the cheese and pepperoni. Season with salt and pepper.
7. Bake for approximately 20 minutes or until cheese is melted. Serve and enjoy!