And don't let the sound of a creamy dressing fool you into thinking this salad is drowning in fat and calories, because it's not. The dressing gets its creaminess from buttermilk, which is naturally low in fat and calories. One tablespoon of this homemade mixture of creamy, jalapeño goodness is approximately 6 grams of fat and 53 calories.
Buffalo Chicken Salad with Creamy Jalapeño Dressing
Total Time: 27 minutes
Prep: 15 minutes
Cook: 12 minutes
What you'll need
For the Salad
4-5 chicken tenders (about 1/2 pound)
1 tablespoon olive oil
1/4 cup buffalo wing sauce (I prefer Franks Red Hot Wings Buffalo sauce)
3-4 scallions, diced
2 celery stalks, sliced
1/2 cucumber, diced
handful cherry or grape tomatoes, halved
1/4 cup shredded cheddar cheese or blue cheese
For the Dressing
1/2 cup mayonnaise
1/4 cup buttermilk
1/4 cup scallions, chopped
1 jalapeño, seeded and chopped
2 teaspoons fresh lime juice
1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
1/2 teaspoon salt
1. Season chicken with pepper.
2. Heat olive oil in a medium skillet over medium heat. Add chicken tenders; cook for approximately 5 minutes on each side, or until chicken is cooked through.
3. Reduce heat to low. Carefully stir in buffalo wing sauce. Mix well until chicken tenders are evenly coated in sauce. Let simmer for 2 minutes. Remove chicken and set aside.
4. In two salad bowls, add lettuce, scallions, celery, cucumber, tomato and cheese. Top each salad with 2-3 chicken tenders.
1. Add mayonnaise, buttermilk, scallions, jalapeño, lime juice, salt and cumin to a food processor. Pulse until scallions and jalapeños are minced.
Note -- you will end up having leftover dressing. I'll be using some of the leftovers later in the week in my Taco Pot Pies. You can also add the dressing to a side salad, or serve it as a dip with freshly cut vegetables. Either way, it's a great way to spice up a dish.
Creamy Jalapeño Dressing adapted from Cuisine at Home Magazine