As I mentioned last week, I hate having leftover hamburger buns. Unfortunately, having leftovers is inevitable when you have to buy a pack of six to eight buns. So this week I'm going to show you five recipe ideas -- some traditional and some unique -- using hamburger buns, so you can get the most out of your leftovers.
I'm going to kick things off with a delicious Chicken Fajita Burger. While we all love chicken fajitas in a taco shell, don't underestimate the power they can bring to the dinner table as a burger.
Chicken Fajita Burger
Total Time: 30 minutes
Prep: 10 minutes
Cook: 20 minutes
What you'll need
2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
2 tablespoons taco seasoning
1/2 teaspoon pepper
1/2 tomato, diced or sliced
1/2 onion, sliced
1/2 green pepper, sliced
1 cup shredded lettuce
2 tablespoons salsa
2 slices monterey Jack cheese
2 hamburger buns
1 tablespoon olive oil
1. Season chicken with taco seasoning and pepper.
2. Heat olive oil in a medium skillet over medium-high heat.
3. Once chicken is evenly coated in seasoning, cook chicken for about 5 minutes per side, or until chicken is cooked through.
4. Remove chicken from the skillet. Set aside. Add onion and green pepper. Sauté for 5 to 7 minutes or until vegetables are tender. Add chicken back to the skillet and let it heat for 2 to 3 minutes.
5. Add 1 slice of cheese to each hamburger bun and broil them in the oven until cheese is melted and buns are browned on the edges, about 1 to 2 minutes.
You might also want to consider adding the following ingredients to your burger:
- Sour Cream
- Ranch Dressing