My recipe offers a "healthier" alternative to the original by using fat free half-and-half cream and scaling back on the butter and cheese. In the end, you'll still have a creamy, soothing and delicious bowl of soup, but without the side of guilt.
Total Time: 60 minutes
Prep: 10 minutes
Cook: 50 minutes
What you'll need
1/2 head fresh broccoli (approximately 2 cups)
1 cup matchstick carrots
1/4 medium onion, chopped
3 tablespoons butter
2 cups fat free half-and-half cream
2 cups chicken stock
2 tablespoons flour
1 cup grated cheddar cheese
salt and pepper to taste
1. In a medium saucepan, melt 1 tablespoon of butter over medium heat. Sauté onion in butter. Remove from heat and set aside.
2. Add additional 2 tablespoons of butter to the saucepan. Cook until butter melts. Whisk in flour. Continue to stir for about 1 minute. Add the half & half, while continuing to stir.
3. Add the chicken stock and cheese. Heat on medium-low heat for 20 minutes or until mixture becomes thick and bubbly.
4. Add the broccoli, carrots and onions. Cook over low heat for 20-25 minutes.
5. Add salt and pepper to taste. Serve and enjoy!