Macaroni and cheese isn't just for kids and college students nor does it always need to come from a box. With a little extra prep work you can make a delicious macaroni and cheese for grownup taste buds.
Unfortunately, with a dish that has cheese in the title, it's hard to find a healthy alternative. Therefore, I'm putting this one in the indulgence category, but it will be worth every bite.
Total Time: 40 minutes
Prep: 10 minutes
Cook: 30 minutes
What you'll need
1 1/2 cups uncooked elbow macaroni
6 ounces low-fat evaporated milk (about 1/2 can)
1/2 stick butter, melted
1 1/2 cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese
1 cup seasoned croutons, crushed
salt and pepper
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
2. Cook pasta according to package directions. Drain.
3. In a large bowl, mix together egg, evaporated milk, cooled melted butter, salt and pepper.
4. Stir in cheese and cooked pasta.
5. Spray a small baking pan or 2 oven safe 14-ounce bowls with nonstick spray. Add the pasta mixture.
6. Put croutons in a Ziploc bag and crush with your hands or a potato masher.