I'll be serving the Mexican Club Sandwich with a side of Guacamole and Chips. It's a simple side dish, but it works well with the complex sandwich.
What you’ll need
1 avocado, halved, seeded and peeled
1/2 tomato, diced
2 tablespoons sweet onion, diced
2 cloves garlic, chopped
1/4 lime, juiced
salt and pepper
tortilla chips (for dipping later)
- Scoop avocado into a small mixing bowl. Be sure to set the seed aside.
- Using a fork or potato masher firmly mash the avocado until you reach your desired consistency.
- Add in tomato, garlic and onion. Mix well.
- Squeeze lime juice over guacamole mixture. Season with salt and pepper.
- Put the avocado seed in the center of the bowl to prevent the guacamole from turning brown. Cover the bowl with saran wrap and place in the refridgerator to chill until you are ready to serve.
* Tip -- if you’d like to spice up your guacamole you can mix in half of a chopped jalapeño pepper. If you do add in the jalapeño, I'd then replace the lime juice with orange juice.
Mexican Club Sandwich
Total Time: 30 minutes
Prep: 10 minutes
Cook: 20 minutes
What you'll need
3 flour tortilla shells
3 strips bacon
1 cup shredded iceberg lettuce
1 chicken breast
3 tablespoons taco seasoning
3 slices pepper Jack cheese
1/2 tomato, sliced
1/2 bell pepper, diced (I used 3 mini sweet peppers instead, since I will be using more mini sweet peppers later in the week)
4 tablespoons salsa
2 tablespoons guacamole
1 tablespoon olive oil
1. Preheat broiler to high.
2. Cook bacon in a skillet over medium heat, about 5 to 7 minutes. Remove bacon from skillet and set bacon aside.
3. Season chicken with taco seasoning and cook over medium heat in a greased skillet, about 10 minutes or until chicken is cooked through. Let chicken cool slightly. Cut into strips.
4. Brush both sides of the tortillas with a little bit of olive oil. Transfer shells to a baking sheet. Broil until they begin to brown, about 2 to 3 minutes. Flip shells over and broil until crisp, about 1 to 2 minutes more.