Total Time: 30 minutes
Prep: 5 minutes
Cook: 25 minutes
What you'll need
1/2 pound Italian sausage (I used Jennie O Turkey Seasoned Italian Sausage. It's amazing!!)
1/2 small onion, chopped
2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
4 cups chicken broth
1 can (about 14 ounces) Italian-style stewed tomatoes, chopped
10 ounces tomato sauce
1/2 cup uncooked mafalda pasta
1 cup spinach
1/2 cup fresh mozzarella, diced
1/4 cup Parmesan cheese, shredded
2 teaspoons. thinly sliced fresh basil
1 teaspoon pepper
1. Brown sausage in a large soup-pot over medium heat.
2. Add onions and pepperoni; sauté for 2 to 3 minutes. Stir in garlic; sauté for an additional 2 to 3 minutes.
3. Add broth, stewed tomatoes (including juice), and tomato sauce, bring to a boil.
4. Drop in pasta and simmer until the pasta is cooked through, about 10 minutes.
*Note -- if you can't find mafalda noodles you can also use lasagna noodles, just be sure to break the noodles into smaller peices before adding them to the soup.
6. Place 1/4 cup of the diced mozzarella into each soup bowl and pour soup on top.